Monday, March 16, 2009

The Sisters of Apartment 21

Last week, my old roomies and I and got together for dinner and a chat. It was a very monumental occasion in that all six of us were able to attend! Let's take a step back in time for a minute...I had just got sent home from my mission and let's just say that I was not the well put together Sara you know and love today. I hastily made an inspired decision to move up to Logan to finish my degree at Utah State. Feeling somewhat battered and vulnerable, I fell into the hands of five amazing girls who have literally changed my life. I read this line in Elder Maxwell's book "All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience" and thought it was fitting, "All of us should strive to have friendships that are deep and solid - so solid, for instance, that if they were interrupted, the unfinished conversation could be resumed months later almost mid-sentence, just as if we had never been apart." Our singles ward bishop commented that we were meant to be roommates that we could help each other through the struggles we had that year, but it still rings true today. I was amazed to find how easily I could relate to these wonderful women whom I hadn't seen for months. So this shout out goes to Katey Teece, Sherri Griggs, Anna Bernards, Heidi Paget, and Vickie Smith! You guys rock and I love ya! And remember these two things:

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are surprised. But presently, He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace." C.S. Lewis

"Our self esteem is stretched, however, only as we are stretched, and true humility includes believing in and exploring our own possibilities." Elder Maxwell



2 comments:

Sherri said...

I LOVE my sisters of Apt 21!!! I'm so glad we all were able to get together and catch up on each others lives. We truly have a solid friendship like the one described when we can just pick up months later where we left off!

Heidi said...

It was so fun that all 6 of us were able to get together and to catch up on each others lives. I love you guys!