Tuesday, June 8, 2010

It May Be The End of Me...

Yesterday was supposed to be the first day of the second attempt at potty training. I had made some adjustments to the strategies I used the first time and believed that this more casual approach would work much better. I bought Sydney some cloth training pants so that her "accidents" would be more noticeable. I also decided to space trips to the bathroom from 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I had lots of treats and stickers for rewards; I was nervous, but somewhat optimistic that the week would end well.
When I got her up that morning, we said good-bye to her diapers and I told her she had some new big girl underpants. I talked to her about the potty and getting treats and then we sat on the potty for a few minutes - nothing. We had breakfast and began playing with toys. I continued to ask her periodically if she need to go and her answer was always no. Needless to say, she peed through her first pair of training pants, and we were on to the second. We have been sitting on the potty, but still nothing. This time I notice her peeing her pants, so we run to the potty and about half of it ends of up in the pot - but not without a lot of screaming and tears. I still try to look at this as progress, however I decide to ditch the training pants (I only had 3 pairs and we were already through 2). I am certain that she won't actually pee on the floor. A little while later, she is dancing around like she needs to pee so we head to the bathroom and sit on the potty. I know that she needs to go, but she refuses. She is crying and screaming, but I gently and calmly (this emotions are a surprise to me as well...it must have been the hundreds of prayers that I have been praying during the day) she needs to go in the potty. I know she can go, but she just won't. After about 45 minutes, I give up and we go into the living room where she plants herself on the carpet and pees. We clean it up and a few minutes later she is dancing again, so we go and have another battle on the toilet for 45 minutes where she again refuses to relieve herself. Again we leave the bathroom but this time I try to watch more closely. I try to not let her sit down, she ends up peeing on the kitchen floor so we run to the bathroom where immediately when she sees the potty she stops peeing and refuses to go. This time I don't give up and we battle it out for another 45 minutes - this involves her standing and peeing a little then me forcing her to sit down...eventually it ends up in the potty but both of us feel traumatized and exhausted. I give her lots of praise and treats and I think this is it - a break-through! I decide to put her back in the training pants and we have lunch, during which she pees in her booster chair while eating. We head to bathroom only to start the fighting again! Treats and praise no longer a memory! During this time, she hugs me and asking me to let her stop and I notice that her forehead is really warm. I decide to take her temperature - it is 101.3! I call the doctor who tells us to come in. We go to the doctor a half hour later to find out that yes! she does have a fever and sores on the back of her throat. It is viral so we will just have to wait it out. While we are there, I ask him for his advice on the potty training situation and he goes on to tell me a list of things that I have already tried assuring me that they should work.
I leave the office frustrated, luckily to find out that my husband will be home from work early! We get home and he plays with her while I cry for half an hour and pray that Sydney doesn't have to wear diapers to junior high because she is terrified of the potty!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

For Alli it took a lot of those days. A lot of laundry, a lot of patience, and a little more crying.

Dinee said...

We had days like that so we decided to wait a few more months before we tried again. For us, that was the best thing we could have done. Libby seemed more ready and not so scared of the potty and only had one accident. She was nervous to use the potty at the store but after 3 or 4 days she got over that and now life is grand. Good luck to you!

Heather said...

Potty training is really hard. I dread the days I have to do it. I have done it twice though, so you can too. It is really tough for me not to get angry or emotional during the process. It is hard to let them decide to do it for themselves.
I'm sorry she got sick. that just makes it so much harder because now you have to backtrack. Good luck! you can do it.

Amber said...

I'm so sorry. I'm just happy your story ended w/Jeff getting home early because that ALWAYS makes the day better!